ORGANISATION NAMEUniversity of Tours
FUNDING TYPEFundingMobility Incoming
RESEARCH FIELDFormal sciences
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
bacteria, metal, regulation, virulence
- Profile and skills required
Master degree in Life sciences/ microbiology with skills in the domain of academical research.
Experience in bacteriology and molecular biology will be appreciated. The candidate must have a strong motivation, a certain autonomy combined with ability to work in a team and communication skills.
- Project description
Streptococcus agalactiae is both an animal and human pathogen, that is able to colonize different hosts and niches. Zinc is a trace element that is essential for most living cells and S. agalactiae must acquire this metal in its environment. However, during infection, the host limit access to metal ions in order to restrict the growth of pathogens. In our laboratory, we are studying the mechanisms used by S. agalactiae to cope with zinc deprivation.
A transcriptomic analysis allowed us to identify two uncharacterized ABC-transporters, highly regulated by the zinc concentration of the medium and thus potentially linked to zinc homeostasis. The project of the thesis is focused on the study of these two transporter: determination of their substrate specificity, physiological roles and regulation.
(1) Edwards et al. (2011) Group B streptococcal infections p. 419–69.
(2) Reyes et al. (2017) J Dairy Sci. 100(11):9294-9297
(3) Chen et al. (2012) Vet. Microbiol, 159 (3–4), pp. 526-530
(4) Andreini et al. (2008) J Biol Inorg Chem 13(8) :1205-1218
(5) Kehl-Fie and Skaar (2010) Curr Opin Chem Biol 14 :218-224
(6) Schaible and Kaufmann (2004) Nat Rev Microbiol 2:946-953
(7) Moulin et al. (2016) J Bacteriol. 18(24):3265-327
(8) Moulin et al. (2019) J Bacteriol. 26;201(8).
(9) Burcham et al. (2020) mBio 11(6): e02302-20
(10) Tam et Saier (1993). Microbiol Rev. 57 :320-346
(11) Rémy et al. (2013). Mol Microbiol. 87(4):730-43
(12) Hiron et al. (2007). J Bacteriol. 189(14):5119-29
To apply, click here
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.